16 February 2014

Initial Reaction: Kuros (ToQger)


Well, my initial reaction is that I'm not a fan. :p Needs moar spandex.


I lament as well, as I have in the past, grunts who inexplicably explode upon their defeat (Though, kink aside, I loved ToQ-5 shrinking the Kuros down to miniatures and squashing them individually like ants). The explosions look noticeably cheap compared to previous years. Hopefully it will improve. Perhaps they will have at least one episode in which they have a unique defeat animation. The Zorima did in one episode of Kyoryuger (dissolved into a dark green liquid), as did the Buglars in Go-Busters (disappeared in a flurry of data).

The hat-helmet combo throws me off. I take the hat is supposed to be a hat and not part of the Kuros' heads. I think it's kind of weird, as I do the HUGE collars these dudes have.

They are the first Sentai grunts since Dekaranger's Anaroids in 2004 to don black spandex and the 14th to do so of the 38 series, if you include the Gelru (black Barmia Hei) from Abaranger. They are  the first since Gokaiger's Gormin to speak at least part of their name, and first since the Ugatz in Go-onger to speak their full name. (The Gormin only ever said "gou" while Goseiger's Bibi only spoke singular "bi" instead of "bibi.")

I think they're alright. From a design standpoint? Fantastic. I love the detail, and the theme of ToQger's villains in general. But I get my kicks from minions in tight spandex, and tight spandex theirs is not (loose spandex is a crime!).

Definitely better than the freakin' Nanashi Company from Shinkenger, though. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment